Sunday, 24 May 2015

Writing with a MUSE in mind

 
YOU TELL THEM, BLAKE!
 

Long time no see, readers. Apologies for my absence, I've finally finished university for the year and now have a lot of time on my hands to write and work on my blog. Hooray!
I have given this topic a lot of thought and discussed it with a lot of people in order to understand what the modern day artists ‘muse’ is. But to understand what that is, we have to understand and have some concept of what the ancient is.
Defined in the oxford advance learners dictionary as:
Noun
1.       A person or spirit that gives writers, painters, etc. ideas and the desire to create things (synonym: inspiration)

2.       In ancient Greek and Roman stories are one of the nine goddesses who encourage poetry, music and other branches of art and literature

In Greek and Roman writing, especially the epic poems by Homer and Virgil and even subsequent epic poems, they are addressed to a muse or goddess. It somewhat becoming a convention of that form.
For example in Homer’s Odyssey translated by Robert Fagles the first line is

“Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man”

(Will get reference when I find my copy. I will edit it in.)
Other English translations of the Odyssey have something along those lines.
Everyone has someone that they draw inspiration from. I can say there has been only one person that is certainty a muse in my life: a girl I was really close with. It was weird because I didn’t expect it to happen. She was always very interested in my writing and would get me to write stories for her in the evenings. And whenever something bad was to happen or we had a falling out I would write her a poem which always seem to make her smile and fix the issue. 'My Canary', 'Girl In The Red Dress' and 'Crimson Princess' are three that I remember instantly. What I feel when I’m writing with my muse on my mind is something powerful and is also hard to describe.  But it’s wonderful.
Even now she remains a constant prompt and focus of my poetry mainly and is the base for a characters in Elohim. All this seems to be a traditional sense of the words.
Here is something I wrote with her in mind that I don’t mind sharing:

Song by the Muse
She sings through the wind and the rain.
Her sweet melody before the tempest,
The stirring of the clouds calls her forth
To sing louder to the sky.
 
When talking with people things and ideas that people have a passion for take the place of the muse. Whether political or matters of collective concern, these things can be considered a muse.
So I put a question to you, my readership: who or what is your muse?  That one person or thing that stems great inspiration for you.  Feel free to share them in the comments, I would be interested in knowing what lights the flames of inspiration for you.
 
Oh and because I found this video interesting have a look.  You can use it in reference to my previous blog post on World Building (I say 'my' but it was written mainly by Quinnan, a writing partner of mine).

 

It’s something I’ve been debating with my guild members for the last few days and I want to know what you all think. Please give The Nerdwrite some love, like subscribe and share.

I guess that all for now from me. As always thank you for reading. Nurture every thought and watch it blossom!

*link to FOT: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fields-of-Thought-Writers-Guild-and-Micro-Community-Publishing/1489007134689771?ref=aymt_homepage_panel   (please give us a like and give some support to a group of young hopeful writers )


Member’s deviant art page and facebook community page:



Please give the blog a +1, and share. My effort won’t get realized. I want lots of people to enjoy writing just like I have. COMMENTS would be great as well!!
The next post when ever it happens will be a bit of a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment